- Jody W. Deming
Phone: (206) 543-0845
E-mail: jdeming AT u.washington.edu
Address: University of Washington
School of Oceanography
Seattle WA 98185
Campus Mailbox: 357940
Office: 370 MSB (map)
Recent Work/Study Students
- Chantz Thomas, working with Jeff Bowman on the potential synthesis of pre-biotic organic molecules at the surface of sea ice. Chantz is also a graduate student in Chemistry at UW. chantzt AT uw.edu
- Adrienne Scott, working with Shelly Carpenter on the oil-dispersing potential of cold-adapted marine bacteria. enneirda1 AT gmail.com.
- Joseph Schermer, working with Shelly Carpenter on the temperature and salinity parameters of specific cold-adapted marine bacteria. cwcooler AT gmail.com.
Current Graduate Students
- Jeff Bowman, studying survival mechanisms of bacteria in cold, salty environments, supported by NSF-IGERT and the UW Astrobiology Program, bowmanjs AT u.washington.edu. See a recent interview highlighting Astrobiology
- Evan Firth, involved in an NSF-funded project on Seasonal Synergy between Bacterial Osmoprotection and Algal Production in Sea Ice, firth.evan AT gmail.com. Evan attended the 2013 May Sea Ice Field Course.
- Gordon “Max” Showalter, CONGRATULATIONS to our new arrival who will be working on motility in sea ice, gmshowalter AT gmail.com.
UW Astrobiology Rotation Students/Visiting Students
- Regina Carns, (AB program) looking into the the influence of extracellular polysaccharides on ions in sea ice brine pockets, rcarns AT u.washington.edu.
- Lorrie Maccario, PhD student at the Environmental Microbial Genomics Group in Lyon, France. Lorrie is collaborating with us on some compatible solute transcriptomic work, as well as dappling in some phototaxis studies on the green snow alga, C. nivalis, lorrie.maccario AT ec-lyon.fr.
Current Research Staff
- Shelly Carpenter,
Research Scientist/Engineer IV/Lab Manager, seashell AT u.washington.edu