- Jody W. Deming
Phone: (206) 543-0845
E-mail: jdeming AT u.washington.edu
Address: School of Oceanography
Campus Mailbox: 357940
University of Washington
Seattle WA 98185
Office: 370 MSB (map)
Recent Work/Study Students
- Joseph Schermer (high school student), worked with Shelly Carpenter on the temperature and salinity parameters of specific cold-adapted marine bacteria (cwcooler AT gmail.com).
- Adrienne Scott (UW undergraduate student), worked with Shelly Carpenter on the oil-dispersing potential of cold-adapted marine bacteria (enneirda1 AT gmail.com).
Current Graduate Students
- Gordon “Max” Showalter, CONGRATULATIONS to our new arrival who is working on motility in sea ice (gmshowalter AT gmail.com).
- Evan Firth, involved in an NSF-funded project on Seasonal Synergy between Bacterial Osmoprotection and Algal Production in Sea Ice (firth.evan AT gmail.com). Evan attended the 2013 May Sea Ice Field Course.
UW Astrobiology Rotation Students/Visiting Students
- Lorrie Maccario (PhD student at the Environmental Microbial Genomics Group in Lyon, France), collaborating with us on compatible solute transcriptomic work, as well as phototaxis studies on the green snow alga, C. nivalis (lorrie.maccario AT ec-lyon.fr).
- Regina Carns, (UW AB program) examining the influence of extracellular polysaccharides on ions in sea ice brine pockets (rcarns AT u.washington.edu).
- Chantz Thomas (UW AB program), worked with Jeff Bowman on the potential synthesis of pre-biotic organic molecules at the surface of sea ice. Chantz is also a graduate student in Chemistry at UW (chantzt AT uw.edu).
Current Research Staff
- Shelly Carpenter Research Scientist/Engineer IV/Lab Manager (seashell AT u.washington.edu).