Thesis & Dissertation Information Session
The Graduate School is now accepting only electronic theses/dissertations (ETDs). Students submitting an ETD
should read through information posted on our website, beginning with
http://www.grad.washington.edu/students/etd/index.shtml. Additionally, the Graduate School and UW Libraries will
be presenting an information session next week which will cover copyright basics, open access, and final
submission instructions for ETDs.
Thesis / Dissertation Information Session
Wednesday, April 11, 2012
3:30 – 5 p.m.
Bagley Hall (BAG), Room 139
Graduate Enrollment Management Services (GEMS) highlights the most significant changes in the new submission
No Required Fees
· With ETDs, there are no required fees! (In the past, students paid binding, microfilm and open access
· The ETD document does not include a signature page or a quote slip.
· The approval form replaces the signature page (see approval forms below).
· Names of committee members are now listed on the title page. GEMS advisors review every detail of the
title page for accuracy and completeness. If students follow our sample title pages, the review of their
submission will be quicker. Sample title pages: http://www.grad.washington.edu/students/etd/info.shtml
No Prelim Check
· GEMS advisors no longer do prelim checks of any kind. Documents are reviewed only after they are
submitted in the UW ETD Administrator Site as a final submission.
· Students submitting their documents the last week of the quarter should be prepared to receive and
respond to requests for minor revisions the week of June 11-15.
· ETDs will not be accepted until all revisions are made and submitted.
The Approval Forms – the one paper part of the process
· The Master’s Supervisory and Doctoral Dissertation Reading Committee Approval Forms are new. They replace
the signature page but are not included in the ETD document. They also should not be confused with the warrant!
· Students should complete the approval forms (fillable PDFs), print for signatures and hand-deliver or
mail the form to the Graduate School. We accept only original (ink) signatures – no faxes, scans, stamps, emails.
Students should plan accordingly to get the necessary signatures and deliver the signed approval form to GEMS by
the deadline (see dates and deadlines below).
· See Master’s Supervisory and Doctoral Dissertation Reading Committee Approval Forms under Prerequisites:
· ETDs will not be accepted and graduation will not be processed without a signed approval form.
Dates and Deadlines
· See dates and deadlines: http://www.grad.washington.edu/students/dates.shtml
Graduate Enrollment Management Services (GEMS)
The Graduate School