Community Days Invite
Thursday, November 12, 2020
Dear Ocean Community,
Though we cannot gather as we traditionally do, the department is creating a few holiday events to bring us together virtually. RSVP to join us in celebrating and building community virtually with the SoO. We sincerely hope that you will participate in the fun! There will be 3 virtual, participatory events between now and the new year:
1. Weekend of Giving - November 26th-29th
A coordinated weekend to give to our communities. To participate: identify something you can do to support someone else over the weekend of Nov 26-29th. Your act of giving could be in the form of a kind act, a gift, a donation, or connection. Anything goes, but here are a few ideas:
- Donate a book to a little free library in your neighborhood
- Donate food to a little free pantry in your neighborhood or elsewhere
- Help a neighbor with yard work, errands, etc.
- Donate to a cause of your choice
- Host a zoom story time for children of friends/relatives/colleagues
- Send a care package to someone
- Send a letter to someone
- Take on a chore that someone else in your household usually does
- Random act of kindness
To visualize the impact our acts of giving, we will ask participants to let us know what they chose to do and summarize in a word cloud posted to our website.
The December events will feature hands-on activities with supplies provided by the SoO. RSVP by Tuesday, December 1 to ensure you get supplies.
Distribution of Supply Kits for December Events: Delivery or Pickup
- Friday, December 4th, 1:00-4:00pm, pick up on the dock
- Cookie decorating kit
- Elf watching party kit
Ugly Sweater Cookie Decorating Party
Friday, December 11th, 4:30-5:30pm
Decorate cookies while wearing an ugly Christmas sweater! This is taking a bit of fun from our usual ocean holiday party and putting it into a virtual event. Cookie decorating supplies will be given to all who are interested. Whether you choose to decorate cookies or not, we hope you will join the party.
Watch Elf in your Elf related holiday costume or pajamas
Thursday, December 17th, 7:00-9:00pm
A remote group movie viewing experience, where we watch the movie elf, dressed like an elf (optional), and participate in elf-like activities (also optional). Elf activity supplies will be given to all who are interested!
RSVP by December 1st.