Cruise Planning Time Line
A Timeline of activities to coordinate with the Marine Operations Staff and Shipboard Science Support Group
The Cruise Planning Timeline for the Clifford A. Barnes is located here.
Very Long Lead Time (at least one year before the Cruise):
- Complete and submit a Ship Request Form to NSF
Long Lead Time (greater than 6 months before the Cruise):
- Seek Foreign clearances to work in EEZs
- Seismic profiling permitting applications and impact studies
At least 120 days before the Cruise:
- Cruise plan with operational areas, stations, etc.
- Review the Cruise Planning Form and set up a meeting or telephone conference with the Marine Superindent and the Science Support Group
Note concerning mobilization and equipment onload planning: If you are mobilizing at the UW dock, please go to UW Port Information. The dock is small and does not allow parking. On loads need advance plannning to ensure trucks and cranes are coordinated. The Port Engineer is in charge of the dock. For the equipment shipping information, go to Directions, School of Oceanography.
If you are onloading in a different port, you may use our agent or arrange your own. Questions and details about your mobilization can be discussed during your pre-cruise meeting or telephone conference.
At least 60 days before the Cruise, complete and submit:
At least 30 days before the Cruise, complete and submit:
- Science Hazardous Material Policy Agreement
- HAZMAT Inventory
- Science Equipment Manifest
- Individual Science Party Member Personal Data Form
- Review "What you need to know before deploying on a UW RV", and pass along to your science party. Note the minimum required reading of UNOLS RVSS Chapter 1.
At least 14 days before the Cruise, complete and submit the following:
- Scientific Cargo Manifest Form (includes equipment and gear shipped to the School prior to the cruise)
- Ship's Berthing Plan
Day of Cruise during your mobilization, be prepared to complete the following once on board:
- Meet with the Captain and key crew to ensure all is ready to sail
- Science Party Safety, Security, & Familiarization Briefing
Upon Completion of the Cruise, complete and submit:
- Post Cruise Assessment (external link)
Port Captain updated 2014 Jan 15