- Gordon "Max" Showalter Building a viral ecology model for cryopeg brines.
- Josephine Rapp Working with Jody Deming and the Geneflow collaboration towards thorough bioinformatics analyses on transcriptomes and metagenomes from cryopeg and sea ice brines from Utqiagvik, AK, fieldwork. (jzrapp AT uw.edu)
- Marcela Ewert Working on publishing some unpublished extracellular enzyme data from Yves-Alain Vetter's thesis. "Substrate binding strength and specificity of freely-released extracellular enzymes from marine bacterial isolates". (mewerts AT gmail.com)
Current Graduate Students
- Zachary Cooper Studies microbial ecology and evolution in sea ice and cryopeg brines using community, population, and bacterial-isolate genomics. Zac is a part of the Dual-Title PhD in Oceanography and Astrobiology with research focused on understanding life in Earth's analog environments for icy worlds in the Solar System. He earned his Master's degree in December of 2018 and passed his general exam in March of 2020 (zcooper AT uw.edu).
UW Astrobiology Rotation Students/Visiting Students
Current Undergraduate and High School Students
Current Work/Study Students
- Kai Teiwaz Spring 2020. Working on bacterial abundances for our Ocean Memory RV Rachel Carson samples. (Xteiwaz AT uw.edu)
Current Research Staff
- Shelly Carpenter Research Scientist/Engineer IV/Lab Manager. See Shelly’s other exploits at the APL-Polar Science Center: Sustained Life in Ice and the Rotten Ice Project. Shelly just received the College of the Environment award for Distinguished Staff Member 2018-2019. (seashell AT uw.edu)